Monday, February 14, 2011

Sloppy Joe

I made sloppy joes over the weekend, and Therese paid me the highest honor a mom could want: after every single bite, she'd say, 'MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.'  At one point she said that it was not possible to eat her sandwich without smiling. 

So, I thought I'd be nice and share my recipe with you all.  My parents and my aunt Maggie have told me that they've never had sloppy joes that taste as good as mine.  AHEM.  I do not like to brag, but hey, I'm just passing on their opinions.  Oh, and it isn't much harder than opening a can of ready made sauce.

Here goes:

For every 1 lb. of meat, these are the ingredients.  At my house I make about 2 lbs, so I double the recipe.

l lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey (I always use the leanest at (93% lean), but you can use what you like)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. onion powder (or 1/2 onion, chopped finely)
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. beef bouillon
optional: 1/2 green bell pepper, diced finely

Brown the ground beef.  Drain any fat.  Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.  Then add meat and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes.  Serve with sandwich or hamburger buns.

I guarantee you will never buy canned sloppy joe sauce again.  This is TASTY!

Speaking of food, I just started cooking a Valentine dinner of Pork roast.  I like to cook it for a long time on a low temperature so it will be tender and flavorful at dinner time.  

Hope you like my recipe!!!  

HUGSxxxAnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment