Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Feeling blue

Sometimes things seem so utterly out of control that I wonder if anyone really knows what they're doing or where they're going.   I know I'm just barely keeping my nose above water in a stormy sea.

I guess God permits us to witness our own weakness so we stay humble.  By the time all is said and done, I might just get an 'A' on that test.

My life is a wreck.  I'm just not gonna even try to sugarcoat it.  Every layer of my life needs attention and I can't do it.  I cannot find a way.   

 Take my prayer life...it's all over the place.  Most of the time, it is a rushed, 'Hi Lord.'  I can honestly be so 'lukewarm' in my faith that I know He's ready to spit me out like a bad apple.  I want to care but I can't always muster up the right attitude.  It feels like I'm bogged down by the weight of indifference.  I hate feeling that way.  I detest it when I am  numb and unfeeling.

I feel very much crushed beneath the insurmountable duties of my life.  Each morning when I awaken, there is a new mess to clean up.  When the kids were small, I had so much more control over my environment than I do now.  Wherever they go, they leave a trail of various messes behind them.  It doesn't help to confide this in others. I've tried that, hoping for a sympathetic understanding, but have only received some sort of condemnation for not being a better teacher to them.  I wasn't hard enough on them.  I didn't teach them right.  On and on...

The bottom line is, it must somehow be my fault.  I've failed in that area.

I cannot keep up with things.  Several days a week, I wash clothes.  It seems like I never do.  There is a neverending overflow of clothes in the hamper and in baskets in the kitchen.  I do not have a laundry area, so it all ends up in the kitchen.  Clean clothes pile up on the dryer because my older kids 'forget' to put their stuff away. 

My house annoys me.  I hate admitting this out loud because it seems like I am ungrateful. One thing I cannot stand is ingratitude.  This house is ugly.  It has no room.  There is no place to put anything.  I have half the kitchen cupboard space that I need.  The paint is peeling.  The front door is ready to fall off its hinges.  Our spouting is hanging off.  The bedrooms are smaller than some people's walk in closets.  And we have almost no closets.  The kids' stuff is everywhere.  They have nowhere to keep it, so it migrates onto the dining room table and into every nook and corner.  I don't feel like I can do anything to change it.  It feels impossible. 

I've tried.  And tried.  I never get on top of it.  I can't even get alongside it.  I'm under it and I can't find an air pocket.  I see why Jesus told his disciples to get ride of their stuff.  I wish I could.  But most of it isn't mine.

My schedule is hectic and crazy.  Everyday I am in and out of the van, dropping someone off, picking someone up.  None of my kids has a license yet.  Two of them are working on it, but that won't solve anything anyway.  They cannot afford insurance, and I can't pay for them.  And they won't have a vehicle of their own to drive anyway. 

I fell asleep yesterday and wasn't at school to pick up my third grader, who happens to be a 'worrywart'.  She worries all the time that I won't be there, that something will happen to me, etc.  So, what do I do?  I do the worst thing I could do...now when I promise that I'll be there, she most likely won't be able to believe me now.  She had doubts before, and I had given her no reason for those doubts.

I know this funk will pass.  I've done this a million times before.  I really have a blessed life, and yet, I have these down times.  I have a family that I love with all my heart; that is my biggest blessing.  And I know that God understands me, even if no one else does.  He isn't as hard on me as I am on myself.  Right now, all I want to do is sleep and maybe even cry.  But, I don't think I can muster up tears because I'm just too tired...

4 comments:

  1. Annie-
    Welcome to the real world times ten! Your'e depressed and you know what-you are ALLOWED to be. Just realize it and give into to it. First off don't even think about not enough prayer time. Take that time for yourself-you know the Big Guy upstairs knows exactly what's going on-if you truly believe then you know he understands. You are just overwhelmed and your family needs to UNDERSTAND that.You are feeling confined and there is literally no place for you to turn.You can't make all the changes you want to the house all at once. Make a list and only go for one thing at a time. Everyone needs to chip in on the help a little (a lot!)more. You also need some time to yourself-NOT doing things you feel you must do-even pray. That sounds like something you feel you have to do. Step back and give yourself some time to relax and not worry about anything. Make one step at a time. Remember you are ALLOWED to be depressed and think about your needs. Take a breath, make a cup of tea, sit down for awhile---and ignore everthing and everybody for awhile.You are no good to anyone else if you aren't good to YOU.
    Take Care & See you soon! xo, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize with the constant running from place to place, and it's understandable how worn out you are! And if there is anything that I can ever do to help (because we all need a little help sometimes), please don't hesitate to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe this suggestion is something you've tried, i'm not sure-- but maybe you could give everyone a storage bin to put stuff they cannot part with and dont use anymore to maybe make some space?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, you two. I went outside and played in the snow with the two youngest kids, and that helped tremendously. A little fresh air and Vitamin D always chases away the blues. Not to mention a few laughs. :D It doesn't hurt, either, that I discovered a stash of Hershey's Kisses that Ian had never eaten from Christmas.
    I have tried everything imagineable with getting things organized here over the years. It helps for a short while, but it never solves the problem. Eventually it falls by the wayside. It isn't easy when you are a person who craves neat surroundings, but live with other people who don't seem to care!
    I can honestly say this: I'm doing the best I can. Thanks again for your kind words and caring hearts. <3

    ReplyDelete