Thursday, June 16, 2011

Candy

It's been a really laid back vacation week.  As I said in my previous entry, I haven't been feeling up to par this week.  Things have been slowly improving, so today we took a little car trip to Grove City.

There is a big outlet mall there with all kinds of shopping opportunities.  I was craving their vendor's bucket of fries, but they don't sell those anymore.  :( Bummer.

There is a Primanti Bros. there now, but we didn't eat there.  We had to be back in time for Ian to be at work at 6:00, so we ate in the food court where we could get our grub fast.

Therese and I had a blast in the Cosmetics Outlet.  I got some Clinique goodies!  I gave her a couple things, and she gave me a big hug!  She really loves to play with makeup and has her own little cosmetic bag filled with stuff I gave her.

My favorite purchase was a 50 cent mini rubber baby from a toy store there.  I don't know why I like it, but I do.  I know--I'm weird.  :)  I like unusual things...It is about twice the size of my thumbnail. 

We went to Here's Howe candy store.  I'm going to do an article for Examiner.com on this unique place.  It's on Grove City's main drag, and it has almost every kind of candy a person could want.  They also sell many flavors and types of coffees and teas.  We ground our own coffee--one pound for us, one for my dad (for Father's Day). 

I told the kids to get their own bags and fill them up with whatever candy they wanted.  The store is set up so patrons can buy candy by the pound.  We got to the checkout and the cashier rang it up--$43.  That's a record for us.  It seems wasteful, but we're on vacation, and there are six kids.  (I got some stuff for myself and John, too.)  That's roughly a half pound per person, since the candy ranged from $2.25 to $5.00 a lb.  (The coffee was almost $9.00 a lb.) That's not so bad, is it? 

I found those little 'flying saucer' candies--the ones that taste and feel like styrofoam.  I bought some after being struck with "sudden onset reminiscent mood".  They tasted terrible.  There is a reason these things are not popular.  Why do they even make them? 

The day turned out to be a very nice one.  There was no pressure, we got sugar, and the whole Elliott clan spent the day together.  That's the best thing about vacation, spending time with my husband and children.

On the way home, the clouds broke into a pounding rain.  I've always enjoyed riding in the car in the rain.  I find the rhythm of the windshield wipers and the pounding raindrops on the roof to be incredibly relaxing.  Once home, we settled in and a thunderstorm passed through.  It wasn't a violent storm, but rather, a gentle one with a few gusty winds and a sheet of rain that fell steadily for at least 10 min. 

Now the sky is blue and the sun is shining before it sets on the horizon.  The birds are all chirping and calling.  I'm thankful for this vacation.

HUGSxxxAnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment