Monday, April 25, 2011

Early morning quiet thoughts

Traditional Sitting Chocolate Easter Bunny, Milk ChocolateIt's Easter Monday morning, John is long gone off to work, all the kids are still asleep, and the only sounds in the house are the clicking of my keyboard, the furnace blowing, and the hamster nibbling at his seeds.  Outside the window I hear the sweet chorus of morning birds.

I'm thinking. 

I don't have to cook today.  There's leftover ham!  Yay.  And it was a good ham, too.  A little fattier than I like, but very tasty.  The gravy was saltier than I like, too, and I didn't add a grain of salt to it.  I love gravy.  I got that from my Mom.  I could eat a platefull of bread with gravy and call it dinner.  That is comfort food to the max.  There's leftover stuffing, too.  I don't make the kind in a box.  That's edible, but I like the real McCoy.  It isn't that much more time consuming to make, either. 

Easter Bunny brought a family gift--'Just Dance' for the Wii.  The kids have been thoroughly enjoying it.  I was going to play yesterday, but after having overindulged at dinner, my tummy wasn't up to jumping around.  Ha ha ha.  Maybe I'll dance with them today.

John gave me a big chocolate Philadelphia Candies bunny.  It's already gone.  No surprise there.  He knows that chocolate is my biggest weakness.  He won't eat chocolate rabbits.  I tease him about it.  He will eat chocolate in any other shape, but not in the shape of a hare.  So, I buy him eggs.  :) He got a Daffin's chocolate and peanut butter egg. 

My deceased and beloved uncle Jim used to buy large chocolate bunnies by the truckload and pass them out.  He was the most kind hearted and generous man, only one problem.  He bought the 'bargain' chocolate, which he proclaimed to be 'every bit as good' as the finer chocolates at our local candy stores.  (Daffin's and Philadelphia Candies)  I don't know if his taste buds were different than the rest of ours, but this was like comparing a Chevette to a Rolls.  They are both cars, and they can get you from one place to another, sure.  But, there's a big difference in quality.

Some of the chocolate he would buy wasn't even 'chocolate'.  If you read the ingredient label, you'd see something like this: chocolate flavored partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.  Just give me a chocolate scented candle to nibble on.

Uncle Jim was so good, and full of love, bless his soul.  I loved that man so much.  Once he got into a scrap with a guy and the guy called Uncle Jim an S.O.B.  Jim went back and beat the guy up, exclaiming loudly, "My mother's not a b****!!".

He always called me Marianne.  He used to pick me up and swing me in his arms when I was a little girl.  Every time he visited us, which was pretty frequent, he'd have a shiny quarter or even a dollar for me.  Sometimes he'd show up with a balsa wood airplane or a punching balloon.  When we visited him, he'd put out candy for us (or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil--LOL), or open a can of fruit and give my brothers and I big bowls of fruit cocktail or peaches.

HUGSxxxAnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment