Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cheap Chic, Panache on a Shoestring budget!!

I used to work for Estee Lauder as a beauty consultant and makeup artist.  It was a fun job--I always liked playing around with cosmetics.  Based on our sales, we girls would often accumulate points towards free products (called gratis).  I loved it!

What I've learned about this industry is that the drugstore brands are often equal in quality to department store brands, but the packaging is cheaper.  This isn't always the case, but in general, it is true.

I'll take that a step further and tell you about a few of my favorite bargains and how 'cheap' they were. 

I love expensive lipsticks because they have pretty and sturdy tubes.  But a lot of the time, the cheap lipsticks actually look nicer on my lips!  There is a brand called LA Colors.  I love their lipsticks!!  One of my favorite and most versatile shades is Cocoa Shimmer.  It even has a faint chocolate scent.  (Maybe that's why I like it.)

It looks natural and shimmery, not overly made up.  At $1 a tube, I can buy as many tubes in many shades that I want! 

They have a product I absolutely love (again, for one DOLLAR!!) called Mystic foundation stick.  I don't use it as a foundation, but rather, as a primer underneath my foundation.  I apply it to dark spots, wrinkles, under my eyes, etc, then I blend it before I apply my base.  It works like a charm! 

I haven't tried any of their other products, so I can't vouch for them. 

Another cheap line I like is E.L.F.  Their brushes/applicators are very high quality but cost next to nothing.  I love their stiff eyebrow/eyeliner brush.  I use it to fill in my eyebrows, and it is great!  I think it cost $1.00.

They have nice eye shadow palettes at extremely low prices.  I don't like everything in their line; some of the things I have tried did not impress me.

I bought something at Walmart called Fab shimmer pot for 88 cents!  I love this product!  It is a glittery powder in a tiny plastic pot with a pink powder puff on top.  It can be used anywhere on the body.  I use it to give my cheekbones and nose a little glimmer, and on special occasions I apply it to my hair with a powder brush.  In certain lights, my hair sparkles!  Unfortunately, WalMart no longer carries this.  Here's the funny part--Fab is 'little girl makeup'.  I had originally bought the shimmer pot for Maria a few years ago, loved it myself, so I went back to get some for myself!!  ;)

For a great facial toner, (as well as cheapo), try using Witch Hazel.  It is wonderfully healthy for keeping your skin clean and your pores tight.  There is only one drawback, other than the strange moniker...it smells ICKY!  I have to hold my breath when I apply it.  It is way cheaper than any other toners out there, and works just as well, if not better.  And it is not drying at all.

The loveliest thing I do for myself (that is free) is that I always keep my teeth brushed and flossed.  I cannot stand to have debris between my teeth.  It is amazing how clean my mouth feels when I floss! 

There are little things like that, and spritzing body spray on that make me feel so pretty!  Amazing!  I just bought myself a new body spray this week called Butterfly Flower (Bath & Bodyworks) and it smells reminiscent of White Shoulders.  It is soft and feminine, very lovely.  I'll let you in on one of my secrets, too...

I don't like to smell like a perfume factory--I just want to have a very soft and pleasant aroma.  So, instead of spraying cologne (or body spray) on my upper body, I spritz my ankles.  That way, when I am sitting by someone, they aren't beat over the head by a strong smell.  They catch a slight hint of my fragrance without it being obnoxious.

HUGSxxxAnnie

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I forgot to mention another 'secret'--if I want a little fragrance on my wrists, instead of spraying it directly on...I spray the air, then run my wrists through the spritz. It gives me a lighter scent than if I had applied it directly.

    ReplyDelete