Monday, January 14, 2013

Spouse Tales



I've been married for 27 and a half years to the same guy, and every day I love him more than ever!  The bond I share with him is solid and ever-renewing.  I marvel at that!

Our house leaves much to be desired.  I have honestly never been happy with it, although I am grateful to have a home, and there are countless family memories tied in with this humble house.

That being said, one thing I have always wished we had was a shower.  The bathroom here was an afterthought(by some former owner, probably back in the 20's or 30's)--put in to a cut- out portion of a bedroom, so it is an awkward room.  The tub is a claw footed monster, heavy and ancient; the sink is of the same era.  Washing up in the sink is interesting because the hot and cold taps are on opposite sides, so you risk scalding or freezing yourself, because you can't get a nice mix of the two!  (Lukewarm, anyone???)

Thankfully, at one point, we replaced the toilet, which was the ugliest contraption you ever wanted to see.  It sounded like a mini hurricane each time it flushed!

Because the lavatory (throw back word to my childhood parochial school--ha ha) was built into a place that originally had an outhouse, it is teeny tiny miniature.  This room is narrow, only about four feet wide, and is about 10 feet long.  The cabinets are built at eye level next to the tub, so there is nowhere to put a shower.

For years, John has rigged up a shampoo hose (available at the local beauty supply shop) for me to wash my hair and rinse off with, but I've always wished I had a shower.

On Christmas, I got a huge suprise from my dear husband.  He had visited a local store called Warehouse Sales, which has been around since...forever.  It's an old fashioned tool/home improvement store.  He consulted with the workers there, bought the equipment, and behind my back, he fashioned a real shower for me!

I must say that was not an easy accomplishment because we only have one bathroom.  I do not know how  he did it without me knowing it.  The shower can only be used if one is sitting, because of the cabinets, but I'm thrilled that I can turn on the water and enjoy the exhilirating spray of a real showerhead!!!

To those of you that have modern conveniences, don't you dare laugh at me!  This gesture of love means more to me than I can ever say! 

These things are what makes it wonderful to be married.  That, and, taking a ride in the dark of night with him, and stopping for drinks along the way. 

 Or, putting tons of laundry away as a team. 


Or, walking the dog together...

or knowing that he gets up early each day to go to Mass before work to pray for me and the kids...

or smelling a freshly brewed pot of coffee he put on for me...

or finding the ice scraped off my windshield and the gas tank on 'F'. 

This is why I love my man!  Thank you, John, for being my true love!!!

What kinds of things can you do for your spouse to make them feel loved and cherished?  That's your homework assignment today! 

If you want to be fulfilled in your relationship, don't count the things that are wrong, take note of the things that are right!

HUGSxxxAnnie



 







No comments:

Post a Comment