Saturday, August 25, 2012

Admiring the Plain Folk

I've lived in Mercer County my whole life.  Nestled nearby, there are clusters of Amish communities, thriving like early American settlers among the 21st century texters and Facebookers.

A short drive down Rt. 18, from Hermitage into New Castle, almost always results in spotting an old fashioned horse and buggy, clip clopping down the berm of the road.

If one drives in the other direction, across the Ohio border, there are other little Amish communities within a short distance as well.

It's not uncommon to see a buggy hitched up to a light pole in a plaza parking lot, or to see a family of Amish, shopping at the local Aldi's store.  Aldi's is a unique store, full of inexpensive groceries, in a sort of warehouse setting.

Amish homes are easily recognized--they are typically white, with fields of neatly planted veggies, and livestock grazing.  They only use one curtain in their windows, pulling it off to one side, so that's the real giveaway, if you're still not sure.  Often, you'll see their buggies hitched up next to the house, and you may notice that their farm tools are all very 19th century.  Amish people are impeccably tidy.  Their property is always kept clean and orderly.

When they work in their fields, there are no tractors, nothing modern, it's all sweat and tears out there.  The men are always tanned.

We are fortunate to have several little shops nearby where the Amish ladies sell their baked goods.  It's been a tradition in our family since my grandma was alive (she died when I was 10), to go on a little drive and pick up a few loaves of freshly baked bread.  Their pies, cookies, and other goodies are all delicious!!

I was once studying and researching how to be a lay midwife in Pennsylvania.  After a couple years of discernment, I decided not to go forward with this because the laws were changing, and there were too many restrictions being put in place.  The Amish ladies still use midwives, and the lady who I met with had been delivering Amish children for decades. 

 Once, when I was at her place, an Amish woman came in for her post natal, six weeks checkup.  Her infant girl was dressed in the traditional bonnet, long black dress, and apron, with little black leather ankle boots, to match.  She looked like a baby doll!  How sweet!

Last week, my family went to Geneva-On-The-Lake, Ohio.  This quaint little village is Ohio's first and oldest resort town.  It sits on the shores of Lake Erie, and boasts lakeside cottages, game arcades, wineries, restaurants, and other such amenities.

While settling in on the toasty sand, and snapping photos of the kids, I noticed a young family about 100 ft. away.  They looked fairly ordinary until I took note that the daddy had a long beard that ran the length of his torso.  Tipping me off that he was an Amishman was the fact that he had no mustache, and his hair was cut in a simple bowl cut.



His upper body was bronze, while his legs were pale white.  The wife had her hair pulled back in a simple low bun, and there were five children, close in age, no older than eight or ten at the oldest.

The Daddy plunged into the water with his little ones, and played in the sand.  The Mommy looked over all her ducklings, but never ventured into the water. 

I took this photo of the family; they do not realize that, the Amish do not like to have their photos taken, so I hope they would not be offended.  They are just really adorable, aren't they?

I've seen Amish men on their way to the lake to fish, and they pull a fishing boat on the back of their buggies!  It's an interesting sight!

I admire the Amish--the way they take care of their whole community.  If one's house burns to the ground, all the men come together and build a house in one day!  The ladies cook and bring cold drinks to the men. 

They believe in the Gospel, and they live it.  They work hard, they play hard, they pray hard, and they sleep hard!  No tv's, no cars, no phones, no furnaces, no lights, no modern conveniences.  And yet, they are content.

I've never had a dishwasher, and sometimes wish I did.  My fridge is too small, and growing ancient.  Our house is old and has very few electrical outlets.  We have no air conditioning, nor do we have cable TV.  And yet, everything I have would make life a breeze for the Amish wife.

I'm not ready to give up my Honda Oddysey for a horse pulled buggy yet, but I can see the value in that simpler life.  I actually envy them to a certain extent! 

Whenever I am in a mood to escape from the craziness of everyday life, I like to hop in the van and drive through Amish country.  It's a good way to settle one's nerves, to take a deep breath, and remember that life is good!!!


XXXOOO Annie






No comments:

Post a Comment